Life's Better Ideas

Occasional links to, and comments on, ideas that I think will make this a better world, and remarks about things that need fixing, too.

Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Are You Biased?

I've been reading blink by Malcolm Gladwell. It's a fascinating book about our ability to make snap decisions. In it, he mentions the Implicit Association Test which you can take at Harvard's website. I've taken 4 so far and found that I have a slight preference for young over old, a strong association for male and science, a slight preference for African-American over White, and a slight preference for Bush over Kerry. There are 7 or 8 more tests. They warn "If you are unprepared to encounter interpretations that you might find objectionable, please do not proceed further." I believe that this test imposed a fair amount of stress on me as I sense an elevated heart rate. If you're willing to challenge your beliefs, you might want to take this test.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home