Life's Better Ideas

Occasional links to, and comments on, ideas that I think will make this a better world, and remarks about things that need fixing, too.

Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Readability Tests

I've been working on a lengthy article I plan to post here later. In the course of my browsing yesterday, I found a Readability Test which calculates the readablity of whatever text you give it, which must be a web page. As originally written, the article I'm writing had a "Fog Index" of over 12, which meant that it was generally comprehensible to people with a 12th grade education or higher. I've reduced that to 11, primarily by shortening sentences, and it seems to be more readable. There's also a link to a discussion of readability tests (benefits, limitations, and history) at the bottom of the page, which I found useful. Also listed on Readability Test are Fog Indexes for widely known books and publications.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home